Subject: openssh problem
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Toupin <alph0ns3@myrealbox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2002 22:53:52
I just installed NetBSD 1.6 on my old 486. I wanted to make a firewall
box, it now works, but I can't ssh to it! When I booted the system for
the first time I saw a "chmod: /dev/tt[Ps7x-1-9]: no such file or
directory" (sorry I don't remember what it was exactly) line in the
bootup messages.

I just passed it, but when I tried to ssh to it, PuTTY said "Server
refused to allocate pty" after my password/login (openssh on my linux
box said something familiar) . On the 486, it said
"sshd[188]: error: openpty: no such file or directory"
"sshd[190]: error: session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed"

I thought that maybe it was related to the GENERIC_TINY kernel I used to
install, so I tried to compile one myself and make sure that pty support
is build in. (of course I learned later that it was already) So my 486
66MHz with 8mb of ram took something like 8 hours to compile =).

So guess what? The same fux0ring errors happened when I tried again!

When searching google for errors like this, the only reference I found
was a linux glibc upgrade problem. It did say to make sure to make the
devices and to mount something (...) so I tough in my head that I should
try to MAKEDEV /dev/pty* (they weren't there). I did MAKEDEV pty1 pty2
pty3 pty4 pty5. I was happy, when I rebooted, the "chmod:" line wasn't
there anymore! But... when I tried to ssh... you know what. The same
"openpty" error.

So, I'm here now, not knowing what to do, waiting for your help =)

(btw I hope this is the mailing list to post (they are so many of them))

Thanks.