Subject: Re: Re Problem with 1.6 install
To: Al Urbaitis <avu@lanl.gov>
From: Rich Neswold <rneswold@earthlink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2002 00:00:11
--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

Wasn't it 26-Sep-2002, at 02:34PM, when Al Urbaitis said:
> >>Jaromir wrote 100% reproducible
>=20
> And so it is with a Dell Inspiron 8200...
> Pukes with a seg fault on man.tgz....
>=20
> I would like to hear more about the drive partitioning speculation....

I installed 1.6 on a Dell Inspiron 7000. This machine has been running
FreeBSD flawlessly for the past few years, so I'm pretty confident the
hardware is in good shape.

Anyways, the 1.6 install seg faulted at the man.tgz stage. I was able to
use the displayed "pax" command to finish untarring the man pages. I was
then able to get the install to continue and it seg faulted in the misc.tgz
stage.

I then searched these mail archives and found out that not displaying the
file name seems more reliable. I reinstalled 1.6, but this time didn't
display the file names. It installed without any problems.

To get back on topic: I did not use the default partition set-up and had
problems installing. Fortunately, not displaying the file names worked for
me.

--=20
 Rich Neswold
=20