Subject: Re: Problem with 1.6 install
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/25/2002 21:45:35
On 25 Sep 2002 12:30:00 -0500, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2002, MLH wrote:
> > ???
> >
> > Maybe check this out... We think it has something to do with how
> > the disk is partitioned. We were trying to use a bootloader, so
> > had partitioned the drive and were trying to install NetBSD in one
> > of the partitions. When installing without a bootloader or using
> > other values for the bios's understanding of the drive size and
> > then partitioning, 1.6 installed fine.
> >
> > We are going to look into this further next week, but there's a
> > repeatable pattern here.
>
> I did a couple of installations yesterday. The only one that SEGVed
> was the one with a 8GB Windows partition at the start of the disc
> (which I also put the boot selector on). Once again, it was either
> in man.tgz or at the very start of misc.tgz. Filenames were switched
> OFF at all times (to go back to a point elsewhere in the thread).
>
> The installation was from a CDROM (other reports seem to be with FTP
> or involve /usr/INSTALL in some way). Using the upgrade/re-install
> sets option successfully put the packages on (using the same
> mechanism that bombed out presumably). I'd originally thought it
> was due to man.tgz/misc.tgz being symlinks on the CD, but the fact
> it has been reported with FTP counters that.

We did more tests regarding different partitioning, and the results
were consistent on this box. The interesting thing is that the
default partitioning scheme that sysinst come up with always works,
but it you change it even slightly, it doesn't. And yes, this was
done from a bootable cd. Haven't tried ftp yet.