Subject: Re: fetchmail launch crashes 1.6
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: George E Sollish <gsollish@autogear.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/24/2002 10:54:42
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, George E Sollish wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:01:51 -0400 (EDT)
> From: George E Sollish <gsollish@autogear.net>
> To: port-i386@netbsd.org
> Subject: fetchmail launch crashes 1.6
>
> Per the recommendation that 1.4 boxes be upgraded, I brought my 755C
> ThinkPad -- happily running 1.4.2 since the dawn of time -- up to 1.6.
> The install was successful and no errors were encountered while tweaking
> /etc, but the moment I fetchmail the system crashes.  The first time,
> after downloading mail from my remote ISP began, the reboot was
> spontaneous -- no warning or error message.  The second time, it kicked
> into debug with the following:
>
> uvm_fault(0xc40a48d0, 0x80808000, 0, 1) -> e
> kernel: pagefault trap, code=0
> stopped in pid 166(lpd) at 0x80808000: invalid address
>
> I'm running a GENERIC kernel, not the laptop kernel, as I've never run
> anything else on this box -- if this is important.  Any ideas?
>
> George E Sollish	Auto Gear Equipment

Further info, half a dozen or more crashes later.  It now appears that any
attempt to use the network results in a spontaneous reboot.  Inside the
box, everything seems quite OK, as long as I don't use the floppy drive,
which has also stopped functioning (it did work for a brief time under
1.6).

George E Sollish	Auto Gear Equipment