Subject: Re: AOL and ppp?
To: None <mike@cpdist.com>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/24/2002 08:58:45
On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 04:20 AM, Video Mike wrote:

> Dear NetBSD,
>
> A friend of mine wants me to set her up with a UNIX server and also
> a way to dial into an America Online server via ppp.  (YUCK)
> Has anyone sucessfully established a ppp dialup into an AOL
> server without using their yuccky AOL software?  Any notes
> on this are appreciated.  I would like to get a real ISP, but, she
> is pretty much stuck with them.
>
> --Video Mike--

One possibility is to use an airport basestation from apple. They have
aol
support build in (although I don't know how well it works, etc. as I
use a
regular ppp isp)

Set up the airport basestation to auto dial to the aol acct and allow
access
via both the ethernet and airport (not sure if you could turn that part
off).

Now if it works with aol the same as with a ppp, when it is poked at via
the ethernet connection for routing to the internet, it will auto dial
if not
already on line, and then you are in business.

There may be many other pieces of hardware out there to do the same
job, but aol access was one of the main features of one of the firmware
updates of the airport basestation.