Subject: Re: Problem with 1.6 install
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/24/2002 12:12:26
> Ryo HAYASAKA wrote:
> > You did not see the extraction process, do you?
> >
> > >From my experiments, if you answer "No" to the question
> >
> > "During the extraction process, do you want to see the file names as
> > each file is extracted?"
> >
> > then you will not get the segmentation fault.
>
> It's true I left the display of file names off during my test.
> I'll eventually try with that on.
>
> Jaromir

I missed Ryo's original posting but from the context quoted above it sounds
like this might be related to PR 15400?

Back in May/June this year I exchanged some email with Brett Lymn about that
PR.  He sent me some patches to curses to add more debugging to see if we could
get more information on the cause of the core dump.  Initially I got a trace
with more information, but it turned out that the debugging had a bug and so
wasn't any use :-(

In the meantime we were in the process of upgrading our -current and after that
we couldn't duplicate the problem...!  We had thought that perhaps other
changes in current might have fixed the problem, but perhaps not...?

We probably won't be installing 1.6 anywhere, but we also haven't tried a full
install of a newer -current so can't say whether the problem still exists there
or not...

Duncan