Subject: Re: Problem with 1.6 install
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/21/2002 00:36:32
On 20 Sep 2002 08:00:01 -0500, Ryo HAYASAKA wrote:
> In message <200209191939.g8JJdGw06548@s102-n054.tele2.cz>,
> Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org> wrote:
>
>> >  > I've also experienced this segfault issue installing both 1.6
>> >  > and current into a VMWare virtual machine.  It seems to be
>> >  > occurring on man.tgz for me.  However 1.5.3 will still install
>> >  > without a problem.
>
> I have also experienced this on my i386 note pc, and this is 100%
> reproduceable.

Maybe check this out... We think it has something to do with how
the disk is partitioned. We were trying to use a bootloader, so
had partitioned the drive and were trying to install NetBSD in one
of the partitions. When installing without a bootloader or using
other values for the bios's understanding of the drive size and
then partitioning, 1.6 installed fine.

We are going to look into this further next week, but there's a
repeatable pattern here.