Subject: Re: serial consoles and BIOS console redirection
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/20/2002 00:41:16
> 	Is there any way to convince everything to share the
> same console port?  I hate the idea of having to use two
> terminal server ports to manage one box.

IIRC the netbsd boot code doesn't actually use BIOS calls
to output data to the serial ports!  Although it does grab
the IO addresses from bios memory.

Even if the bios doesn't advertise the serial port it is using,
there is definitely scope for letting the boot code pick
a serial port given the IO base address.

Not looked where the kernel gets its 'console' from (yet).
(in my list 'cos it would be handy to have output/input
to/from COM1 and VGA/ps2 keyboard at the same time)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk