Subject: Re: serial consoles and BIOS console redirection
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/19/2002 18:17:18
[ On Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 15:29:56 (-0500), Eric Schnoebelen wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: serial consoles and BIOS console redirection
>
> 	``But FreeBSD can do it!''.
>
> 	Stupid PC hardware.  If I didn't need to have an
> intel based box around, I'd scrap them all!

Why not trade them all in on more manageable boxes, like Sun Netras or
similar?  If you're running *BSD on them then why do they have to be PCs?

> 	Maybe it's time for me to dig into the boot process
> on the intel boxes.. (ugh!)

These days with most motherboards having FlashRAM for the BIOS, perhaps
some eager PC hackers should reverse engineer some real console support
patches for various popular BIOS models....

--
								Greg A. Woods