Subject: Re: serial consoles and BIOS console redirection
To: <>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/19/2002 15:25:06
Herb Peyerl writes:
- eric@cirr.com (Eric Schnoebelen)  wrote:
-  > 	I'm trying to understand why NetBSD chooses COM2: as the
-  > console any time I attempt to turn on the BIOS ``console
-  > redirection'', and set it at COM1:
-  >
-  > 	If I use the ``normal'' boot blocks, I'll get the boot
-  > loader's output on the BIOS console, but then the kernels output
-  > is never seen.
-  >
-  > 	Using the ``serial'' boot blocks, all of the BIOS output
-  > goes to COM1:, and then the boot blocks (and the kernel) output
-  > everything to COM2:.
-  >
-  > 	Is there any way to convince everything to share the
-  > same console port?  I hate the idea of having to use two
-  > terminal server ports to manage one box.
-
-
- Most serial port redirection bios, once enabled, causes the uart
- in question to disappear and become unavailable to the host
- OS, hence requiring you to have 2 console cables, one for the BIOS
- and one for the OS.
-
- At least that's been my experience.

	Well, NetBSD sees both the serial ports once it's
booted.  And FreeBSD seems to be able to cope with it..

- There are other hardware devices that can solve this problem for
- you.

	Yeah, I've got four weasel's aready.  I just hate
loosing my sole PCI slot in these 1U boxes to the Weseal (I'd
rather drop a FC host adapter in there..)

	If that ends up being the case, I'll have to harrass
Greg D about upgrading my three ISA/MDA Weasels.

	Thanks,
		Eric

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
	I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs