Subject: Re: serial consoles and BIOS console redirection
To: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/19/2002 14:03:57
eric@cirr.com (Eric Schnoebelen)  wrote:

 > Greetings,
 >
 > 	I'm trying to understand why NetBSD chooses COM2: as the
 > console any time I attempt to turn on the BIOS ``console
 > redirection'', and set it at COM1:
 >
 > 	If I use the ``normal'' boot blocks, I'll get the boot
 > loader's output on the BIOS console, but then the kernels output
 > is never seen.
 >
 > 	Using the ``serial'' boot blocks, all of the BIOS output
 > goes to COM1:, and then the boot blocks (and the kernel) output
 > everything to COM2:.
 >
 > 	Is there any way to convince everything to share the
 > same console port?  I hate the idea of having to use two
 > terminal server ports to manage one box.

Most serial port redirection bios, once enabled, causes the uart
in question to disappear and become unavailable to the host
OS, hence requiring you to have 2 console cables, one for the BIOS
and one for the OS.

At least that's been my experience.

There are other hardware devices that can solve this problem for
you.

---
Real PC Serial console & remote reset - The PC Weasel! http://www.realweasel.com