Subject: Re: Help! rp-pppoe and PacBell DSL
To: None <Catidae@aol.com>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/15/2002 02:43:43
Catidae@aol.com wrote:

>Does anyone have an idea as to why I can't connect? Do I need to enable DHCP o
>n the unconfigured NIC? Does the kernel not support PPPoE? Does PacBell requir
>e that pppoe be configured a certain way? Any help will be much appreciated!

NetBSD 1.6 (which has just been released) supports in-kernel PPPoE.
With 1.5.x you can use either mouse-pppoe or rp-pppoe.  I used
mouse-pppoe with a Panix account for about 8 months, but upgraded
to in-kernel PPPoE because it consumes substantially less system
resources.  (And on a cobalt raq2 this is actually an issue.  :-)

For documentation on the in-kernel PPPoE in 1.6, check out:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe/

and the 1.6 manpages pppoe(4), pppoectl(8), ifconfig(8) and ifwatchd(8).

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/