Subject: Nasty 1.6 install problem with Thinkpad 770
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/14/2002 00:57:04
Hi, I'm trying to use the bootlap[12].fs floppies to install 1.6 on my
Thinkpad 770 228 MB ram on enire HD (wd0 is 657 Cyl, 64 Heads, 63 Sec/Tr
1296 MB).

I do a net install, and everything seems fine but systems doesn't boot from
HD.

Using the rescue floppy, fdisk reports that partition 3 is being used; on a
hunch, I changed things to use partition 0 and set it bootable.

Still, no boot.

From the rescue floppy, in /usr/mdec/ I did:

$ ./installboot biosboot.sym /dev/rwd0a

(I have the whole disk in the A partition, and no swap partition).

Still, the machine does not boot.

Any suggestions?  And, has anybody else seen this problem with 1.6 install?

Thanks -Mike