Subject: 1.6 sysinst segmentation violation
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/2002 19:09:20
A co-worker has an old SuperMicro 200MHz Dual Pentium Pro box that
he tried to install NetBSD 1.6 on.
(ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/200209080000 and an
earlier release )

He gets as far as pax installing misc.tgz each time and sysinst
coredumps with a segmentation violation. This is the same with
either the dual floppy installer or a cdrom-based installer - that
I've used now on 6 other Athlon and K6-2 machines. He thinks that
pax continues to install misc.tgz after the coredump because the
drive light continues to blink for a while after sysinst coredumps.

I cut a 1.5.3 cd for him to try and it installs fine. He went back
and tried the 1.6 installer several more times, but it still
coredumps. He is going to bring the box in next week so we can take
a closer look at it.

The interesting part is that he had been running RH 7.1 but wanted
to update kde to a modern version, and RH 7.3 wouldn't install
either.

Any specific ideas on how to determine why sysinst coredumps on
this hardware?

Thanks