Subject: Re: NetBSD RC3 and my laptop.
To: Richard Rauch <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/2002 00:34:17
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Rauch" <rauch@rice.edu>
To: <port-i386@netbsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 9:43 AM
Subject: NetBSD RC3 and my laptop.

>  a) I canNOT seem to access my ethernet at all with either of these
>     1.6 kernels.  I haven't tried building a custom kernel.
>     (Maybe I needed to warmboot 1.6 GENERIC a second time; but
>     GENERIC_LAPTOP put the card at ne0; it just failed to support it.)

Looks to be nearly right

Where did you get the GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel from?  Self built or from
somewhere else?

> ne0 at pcmcia0 function 0
> ne0 (manf 00008a01 prod 0000c1ab) cis PCMCIA 10/100 Ethernet Card: can't
match ethernet vendor code

a quick look through the source shows that card should match (entries in
pcmciadevs):
vendor MELCO                    0x8a01  Melco Corporation
product MELCO LPC3_TX           0xc1ab Melco LPC3-TX

and a matching entry in if_ne_pcmcia.c
    { PCMCIA_STR_MELCO_LPC3_TX,
      PCMCIA_VENDOR_MELCO, PCMCIA_PRODUCT_MELCO_LPC3_TX,
      PCMCIA_CIS_MELCO_LPC3_TX,
      0, -1, { 0x00, 0x40, 0x26 }, NE2000DVF_AX88190 },

Can you confirm the above exist in those files?

The error indicates that it failed to complete the probe (it did match it
our I don't think it would have made an attachment at all.)

Chris