Subject: Re: NetBSD RC3 and my laptop.
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/11/2002 21:20:54

I just downloaded GENERIC and GENERIC_LAPTOP from the pre-release site
(releng?  whatever) and put them on my root filesystem to see how they
booted.  So that's what a user with a comparable computer could expect to
see when installing NetBSD/i386 1.6 RC3.

> > ne0 at pcmcia0 function 0
> > ne0 (manf 00008a01 prod 0000c1ab) cis PCMCIA 10/100 Ethernet Card: can't
> match ethernet vendor code
>
> a quick look through the source shows that card should match (entries in
> pcmciadevs):
> vendor MELCO                    0x8a01  Melco Corporation
> product MELCO LPC3_TX           0xc1ab Melco LPC3-TX
>
> and a matching entry in if_ne_pcmcia.c
>     { PCMCIA_STR_MELCO_LPC3_TX,
>       PCMCIA_VENDOR_MELCO, PCMCIA_PRODUCT_MELCO_LPC3_TX,
>       PCMCIA_CIS_MELCO_LPC3_TX,
>       0, -1, { 0x00, 0x40, 0x26 }, NE2000DVF_AX88190 },
>
> Can you confirm the above exist in those files?

No.  I am not autobuild@tgm.daemon.org.  I am in no especially good
position to determine what files were or were not used on Sept. 8 to build
that kernel.  I assume that, as of Sept. 8, the files were current with
what was destined to becoem 1.6, but that's as much as I can say.

I don't really have the time to upgrade the whole laptop, install kernel
sources, and rebuild just to see if it might work.  Not right now.

What I have time to do is try extant kernels.  And, when 1.6 is really
released, I hope to be able to make time to do the upgrade (allowing that
I may have to revert to 1.5.2 if I can't fix the ethernet problem).  I
just can't do that upgrade dance multiple times over the next month or so.

If you have reason to believe that the Sept. 8 kernel on the pre-release
site was built incorrectly (or built from bogus sources), I can get a
newer one (now, or whenever one next shows up).

How does NetBSD (1.6 "RC3", if that distinction matters) search the list
for vendor/product codes?  Does it do a bsearch() on an array that it
assumes is sorted?  If so, is the array possibly out of order?  (I think
that /usr/bin/find had a bug like this in its option parsing a year or so
ago; someone inserted an option in a table where it "made more sense", but
the bsearch() (or whatever) failed to find it because the algorithm
required the table to be sorted lexicographically.)

Thanks for the helpful answer.  Though I mostly expected:

 a) To simply provide feedback ("this works; that doesn't").  This
    may be of help to others (both end-users such as myself, and perhaps
    people working on NetBSD).

 b) To maybe be told, "Whups.  Heh.  Okay, should be fixed, now..."
    Failing that, it would be nice to know, "Fixing this in a standard
    kernel would break more things, due to PC hardware bogosity.  But,
    it's easily fixed by building your own kernel..."  (I expect to
    build a custom kernel anyway, after installing 1.6.)