Subject: Re: Mini-ITX
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/09/2002 21:53:56
Hello Ernst,

  ET> You may be correct on the Cryx III team walking out,
    > I heard that too. I was just unaware of the existance
    > of a seperate C3 tream at Cyrix - guess I didn't read
    > the industry rags close enough at the time :)

I don't read them at all, this is just what I discovered
when I was trying to make sense of the whole Cyrix III Vs C3
thing.  I had been happily running NetBSD on a Cyrix MII and
considered the Cyrix III as an upgrade.  Eventually I fitted
a 450MHz AMD K6-2+ to the machine in question, but now I'm
looking again at the C3 for a firewall that I've been asked
to build (time to invest in a copy of smb's book. ;-)

  ET> Ok, so this brings up the next question - what is the
    > difference between the VIA C3 E-Series and the VIA
    > Eden ESP Processors? The documentation states that
    > the boards can be ordered with either processor
    > installed.

I don't know anything about Eden although it's mentioned in
passing in the magazine.  VIA's Web site mentions Samuel 1,
Samuel 2, Ezra and Ezra-T C3 cores, but I've not read any
data sheets yet.  I've a vague recollection that Cyrix III
was code-named Joshua.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.