Subject: Re: Backspace vs Delete on Console in 1.5.3
To: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Jonathan Perkin <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/06/2002 13:35:40
On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 02:00:17PM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:

> On 06-Sep-02 Jonathan Perkin wrote:
>
> > o wskbdmap_mfii.c has KS_Delete for both keychar 14 and 211.  I
> > presume these correspond to backspace and delete respectively,
> > in which case is there not a KS_BackSpace?
>
> To make the backspace key send ^H change KS_Delete to KS_BackSpace
> in keycode 14. You can also do this with wsconsctl without
> changing the kernel, for the details have a look at the excellent
> mail on this subject a few days ago by Greg A. Woods.

Indeed, have put that in my wscons.conf (and yes, Greg's email has
cleared a lot of stuff up, but I'm still clued out on a few things).

> Don't forget to put the stty erase '^H' in your shell startup
> file.

That's what I'm querying.  I hate having to modify standard install
scripts (/root/.cshrc, /etc/wscons.conf etc) if I don't need to.
What is wrong with my thinking that means I have to do this, and
that it isn't already default in a NetBSD install.  Is NetBSD
correct in all aspects regarding BS/Del and we x86 users have to
jump through these hoops because we have both keys, or is NetBSD
currently incorrectly set up as default.  Once I know what is
"correct" behaviour, I'll be more inclined to fix it locally
knowing that the underlying implementation is sound and won't
change beneath me, and won't be quite so annoyed at having a
non-standard /etc and /root.

--
Jonathan Perkin - BBC Internet Services - http://support.bbc.co.uk/
    Please check email headers for any relevant contact details