Subject: Re: HEADS UP: XFree86 4.2.1 imported
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/06/2002 04:38:14
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 @ 1:11am (+0200), Matthias Scheler wrote:

MS> 	Hello,
MS>
MS> I've imported XFree86 4.2.1 into NetBSD's X11 sources today. Here is a list
MS> of the changes:
MS>
MS> XFree86 4.2.1 (03 September 2002)
MS>  715. [SECURITY] Fix an Xlib problem that made it possible to load arbitrary

That's odd.  Is 4.2.1 simply a CVS tag/branch from xf-4_2-branch?  The
website says nothing about it.

> [...]
MS>       (Roberto Zunino, Matthieu Herrb).
MS>  702. Fix a problem related to reserving the overlay key in the default
MS>       colormap in 24+8 mode.  This caused some clients using the 8-bit
MS>       visuals to fail (David Dawes).
MS>  701. [SECURITY] Zlib error handling fix (Mark Adler).
MS>  700. Put back XDarwin's byte-ordering fix for reading keymappings on
MS>       Darwin x86 that was inadvertently dropped (Rob Braun).
MS>  699. Fix for `hostname` issue on Linux (Marc La France).
MS>  698. Fix startx script for ksh (Philip B. Bruce).
MS>  697. Fix Emulate3Buttons for wsmouse protocol on NetBSD and OpenBSD
MS>       (Matthieu Herrb).
MS>  696. Temporary workaround for IA-64 (Marc La France).
MS>  695. Fix SIGSEGV when printing modes that have no flags (Marc La France).
MS>  694. Fix an unresolved symbol in libGLU.so that shows up when building it
MS>       with gcc-3 (David Dawes).
MS>  693. Fix incorrect symbol prefixing with Xlib's i18n modules on Solaris,
MS>       and fix invalid code caused by a memcpy() macro being split by a
MS>       directive (Keith Packard, David Dawes, #5150, Sami Farin).
MS>  692. Don't try to print mode names when NULL (David Dawes).
MS>  691. Revert the ATI driver's composite sync default to off (Marc La France).
MS>
MS> XFree86 4.2.0 (18 January 2002)
MS>  690. Workaround for hardware bug that prevents older ATI 3D Rage adapters from
MS>       being assigned to XF86Config device sections (Marc La France).
MS>
MS> XFree86 4.1.99.7 (17 January 2002)
MS>  689. Fix bug introduced in snapshot 4.1.99.5 causing XDarwin's PseudoramiX
MS>       extension to always be disabled (Torrey T. Lyons).
MS>  688. Disable the pipe check for stdout/stderr that was added in the previous
MS>       snapshot because it looks like it might cause too many problems
MS>       (David Dawes).
MS>  687. Update the Arabic (ar) XKB keyboard map (#5145, Arabeyes team).
MS>  686. Update the Russian (ru) XKB keyboard map, adding two new variants
MS>       ("typewriter" and "phonetic") (#5143, Ivan Pascal).
MS>  685. Remove the lt_a and lt_p XKB keyboard maps (#5139, Nerijus Baliunas).
MS>  684. Disable the DRI and print a warning message for Radeon 8500 cards
MS>       until they are supported (Kevin Martin).
MS>  683. Properly detect when no BIOS is present on Radeon cards (#4978,
MS>       Charles Hannum, Kevin Martin).
MS>  682. Delay before restoring VGA registers for Radeons to "fix" VT switch
MS>       problems (Kevin Martin).
MS>  681. Add new PCI IDs from ATI (Kevin Martin).
MS>  680. Update the Xinstall.sh script to create version compatibility links for
MS>       shared freetype libraries when needed (David Dawes).
MS>  679. Update Freetype2 shared library versions to match the versions libtool
MS>       generates (Keith Packard).
MS>  678. Doc updates (lots of people, includes #5142, 5144)
MS>
MS> I would like to get feedback about this version so we can decide if we
MS> ship 4.2.0 or 4.2.1 with NetBSD 1.6 for the i386 port.
MS>
MS> Note:
MS> The NetBSD-i386 X11 sets on "releng.netbsd.org" are still XFree86 4.2.0 based.

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"There are only two things infinite:  The universe, and human stupidity.  And I'm not to sure about the first one."  -Albert Einstein