Subject: Re: Backspace vs Delete on Console in 1.5.3
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/04/2002 22:54:04
Hello Greg,

On 03-Sep-02, you wrote:

Thanks for your extensive reply.
Now I know that the "erase" key is backspace, I thought it would be delete.
I have now set the erase key correctly with stty and it works fine.

One minor annoyance is left: When I connect via telnet from my Amiga, at the
login prompt backspace still shows as ^H and I have to press delete to
correct typos. Is there a way to fix this? Once I'm logged in and stty has
run everything is fine.
On the ttyE console both backspace and delete work normally at the login
prompt.

> You can
> check by running "stty -a" and looking at what it reports as the "erase"
> character value.  You can test this directly by typing and erasing
> characters first at the shell prompt, and then to a non-interactive
> program such as "cat".

How would I do the latter?

> A better fix is to patch the poorly designed keycode mapping tables in
> the kernel, but the run-time patch above is easier.  :-)

I had already done the in-kernel fix previously. Didn't know how it could be
done with wsconsctl, wsconsctl(8) seems to be a little short.

Bye, Chris

--
          __
         /// Amiga 4000T 040/40                    /~\ The ASCII

Press any key to continue, or any other key to quit.