Subject: irratic ibm thinkpad trackpoint behaviour
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/02/2002 15:55:04
Hi all,

I seem to have some odd problems with the trackpoint device of my IBM
T30 thinkpad.  It ppears that at seemingly random intervals, the
trackpoint works and not on others.  In the meantime, the
mouse-pointing-shovei-it-around-field-thingy works all the time.

I have a kernel that detects wsmouse at pms, and using this kernel, the
trackpoint worked.  I fiddle around with the kernel configuration and on
the next reboot, it did not work.  Now, I saved the working kernel as
onetbsd, so I boot that, and it works.  I compare the configuration
(options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE), and recompile an identical kernel, and
call it /netbsd.  Boot it, trackpoint doesn't work.  Boot /onetbsd,
trackpoint works.  Rename /onetbsd /netbsd, boot, trackpoint works.
Reboot, boot /netbsd, trackpoint doesn't work.  Reboot, boot /onetbsd,
trackpoint doesn't work.  Note that this *is* the kernel that did work
before.  Several reboots, varying results:  without any pattern, it
seems, the trackpoint works on some instances, and then again not.

What is going on?  Any clues?  Any suggestions?

TIA,
-Jan

--
Discourage inbreeding - ban country music