Subject: Re: Backspace vs Delete on Console in 1.5.3
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/02/2002 17:40:38
Hello David,

On 30-Aug-02, you wrote:

> Under X backspace generates ^H, and ctl-backspace ^?.  The delete key
> generates the escape sequence \e[3~ (significantly more useful than
> ^?).

That works also. I just want the two keys to send different sequences so
that I can bind different functions on them.

>> The only problem I've seen so far is that sh does backspace on ^? and does
>> not react on ^H, which is now sent by the backspace key.

> I tried to find that bug yesterday, it eluded me :-(

I found that also more and csh do this. Perhaps I should change back and try
to give the delete key another sequence (the one from X)?

I just don't want both keys to do the same, which fixes the problems
currently. If they do the same I wouldn't need two of them... :-)

>> However sh is rarely used interactively.

> What do people use?

I use zsh.

Bye, Chris

--
          __
         /// Amiga 4000T 040/40                    /~\ The ASCII

Error #0193: You can't put a CD-ROM into your floppy drive,
             even if you fold it twice!