Subject: Re: Backspace vs Delete on Console in 1.5.3
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/29/2002 23:55:31
On 25-Aug-02 Christian Hattemer wrote:

> if my memory isn't totally wrong, on the console (ttyE0) the backspace key
> used to produce ^H while the delete key produced ^?.

I found my memory was wrong, this behaviour is there since nearly 4 years.

This was changed in Rev. 1.2 of sys/dev/pckbc/wskbdmap_mfii.c. Half of the
changes (the KS_KP_Delete vs. KS_Delete part) has already been reverted in
Rev. 1.20 and 1.15.4.1. I have reverted the other half for myself too and it
seems to work fine. Now I can have distinct backspace and delete functions
as on X.

The only problem I've seen so far is that sh does backspace on ^? and does
not react on ^H, which is now sent by the backspace key. However sh is
rarely used interactively.

While being at it I noticed that the support for the Home and End keys added
to sys/dev/wscons/wsemul_vt100_keys.c in 1999 (Rev. 1.3) has the log message
"Map the Home and End keys as xterm does.", but the sequences produced by my
xterm today are different. Perhaps this should be changed also.

Bye, Chris

--
          __
         /// Amiga 4000T 040/40                    /~\ The ASCII

"It would appear that we have reached the limits of what it is possible
 to achieve with computer technology, although one should be careful
 with such statements, as they tend to sound pretty silly in 5 years."
(John von Neumann, ca. 1949)