Subject: Re: 1.6_RC1, cdrecord, and mysterious system resets
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/25/2002 13:53:01
John Kohl writes:
> I've twice in the last week had my system reset (no crash dump) when I
> started a cdrecord to burn an image.  In both cases, I had blanked a
> CD-RW previously (blank=all) and left it in the drive (either for a few
> hours or a few minutes).  I was running cdrecord in an xterm window.
> I've rebuilt cdrecord since installing 1.6_RC1 in hopes that would help,
> but I've still gotten crashes since then.
>
> I have had it work just fine in several other cases, including all the
> times I tried on the console in a vain attempt to see any messages that
> might have been missing.
>
> I never had problems with cdrecord and 1.5.x releases/snapshots.
>
> Anybody else having such problems?

I've seen something similar: the first burn goes fine, but the 2nd burn
would causes the system to hang...  (Both burns to CDR's)

The system in question is a i386 box running 1.6_BETA4.  The machine was
moved to a differnt building before I could get more debugging info, but now
that I'm in the same building, perhaps I can dig into this a bit more...

Later...

Greg Oster