Subject: Re: CD drive media event
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/12/2002 19:37:16
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 @ 2:27pm (+0200), Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

IS> Hello,
IS>
IS> On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 02:34:37AM -0700, Girish Wadhwani wrote:
IS>
IS> > Is there any mechanism for a process to be notified
IS> > when media is inserted into a cd drive on NetBSD?
IS> > Ideally, I would like to have a deamon sleeping and
IS> > when media is insert, the kernel would notify the
IS> > process. The other option would be for the process to

...you mean vold or automountd from some commercial unix's?

-lava

IS> > poll by trying to read form the device periodically
IS> > but that would be inefficient.
IS>
IS> The kernel would have to do this, too. So yes, polling every - say -
IS> 3 seconds sounds like you want to do.
IS>
IS> Regards,
IS> 	-is

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"GNU/Linux: About as stable as the elements at the bottom of the periodic table"