Subject: Re: motherboard recommendations?
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/07/2002 18:21:54
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> but using master/slave config is bad idea and will slow down everything.

This is not necessarially true. Testing with modern 7200 RPM IBM IDE
drives on a UDMA-100 controller, I found that sequential reads and
writes were basically unaffected. I.e., with one drive I got about 30
MB/sec; with two drives on the same controller I got about 30 MB/sec
from each, when being read or written simultaneously.

What *was* affected was the number of disk transactions I could get
per second; with one disk or two, I could do no more than about 90
transactions per second. So if you do a lot of small reads and writes,
this might be a problem; if you're not sustaining a high transaction
rate, it may make no difference.

cjs