Subject: Re: Can't blank RW CD
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/03/2002 17:33:22
on 8/1/02 11:48, Manuel Bouyer at bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 10:28:25PM -0400, Steven Sartorius wrote:
>> on 7/22/02 16:41, Manuel Bouyer at bouyer@antioche.eu.org wrote:
>>=20
>>> Thanks. Can you try the attached patch and see if it helps for you ?
>>> Otherwise we'll have to look at the VIA code.
>>=20
>> Manuel,
>>=20
>> I applied the patch and rebuilt my kernel but no luck -- I get the same
>> error messages (see below) from cdrecord as I was getting before:
>=20
> Thanks. There is no difference between the 1.5.2 and 1.6 VIA-specific cod=
e.
> I finally got around trying 1.6 on a machine with a CD-RW drive.
> It worked just fine for me, with cdrecord 1.9:
> Cdrecord 1.9 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.5.1.) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J=F6rg
> Schilling
>=20
> Any chances to try 1.9 ?
> I won't have the time to update to 1.10 before 2 weeks.
>=20
> --
> Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.           Manuel.Bouyer@lip6.fr
> --

I did a little more testing and I've come to the conclusion that I may have
had a bad CD-RW.   I took a fresh, blank CD-RW and, using cdrecord 1.10,
burned a 250MB iso image to the disk with no problems.  I then blanked the
disk (again using cdrecord 1.10) and encountered no difficulty or errors.
I'm assuming something about the original CD-RW was flaky (although I did
successfully blank it using a flat-screen iMac and Mac X 10.1.5).

Thanks for looking into this.....

Steve