Subject: Re: how to make boot menu work
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/03/2002 14:48:43
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
>
> > ok, stupid question here...  I have netbsd running on my wifes i386.  I
> > have a boot selector menu installed (the one I got during the netbsd
> > install) so when the machine boots, it says something like
> > press f1 for winblows and f2 for netbsd.  If I press the f2 one, it just
> > sits and sits.  If I don't press anything it times out and boots winme.
> > So far I've just been booting off a CD-ROM and then
> >   boot wd1a:netbsd
> > to get into netbsd, but I'm finally tired of that.  So whats the right
> > thing to run to fix this?
>
> 	/usr/mdec/installboot /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rwd0a
>
> and maybe, for good measure, run
>
> 	fdisk -B wd0
>
> to update the bootselector that you evidently already have.

Oops, I wasn't paying attention. For the first part, s/wd0/wd1/. The
netbsd stuff being on wd1 even explains why the installer didn't do it
right automatically. The real sneaky part will be to get the boot
selector on wd0 to chain to wd1. For that, you must still do "fdisk -B
wd0", but try choosing "5: Hardisk 1" when it ask you for the "Default
boot option". If you don't want that to be the default, just try
hitting "F5" when you get the F1-F2 menu. (I've never tried that.)

Frederick