Subject: ftp speed
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Gregor <bgregor@buphy.bu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/2002 11:36:46
I have a Pentium 233, 128 meg RAM, 10k SCSI drive on an Advansys
80 MB/sec SCSI controller.  It's running NetBSD 1.6_BETA_3, built
from sources a little while back.  Network card is an Intel one
using the fxp driver, and the SCSI controller is the adw driver.

I was just FTPing some big files to it over a 100 Mbit Ethernet
switch.  I could only get 3 MB/sec, which is very slow considering
that the switch was hardly being used at the time.  The FTP client
is a Pentium III 800 running Windows 2000.

This seems very slow.  Should I be expecting more?  I seem to recall
getting at least double that in the past when it was running 1.5.2,
but maybe my memory is deceiving me.

Brian