Subject: soundless CD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2002 18:16:48
I don't seem to be able to get any output through my sound card, and I'm
running out of ideas.. Can you check the logic please?

- I can play a CD with the loudspeakers plugged straight into the CD drive
  => the loudspeakers/transformer work
- I can't play the CD with the loudspeaker plugged into the sound card
  (maybe no internal CD card -> sound card cable)
- Copy the first track to disk as an audio file, and

    # audioplay -V -v250 audio_01.wav
    sample_rate=44100 channels=2 precision=16 encoding=slinear_le

  emits no sound out of the soundcard.
- Check the wav file is OK by burning it back onto another CD, and listening
  to it with the loudspeakers plugged straight into the drive.

# mixerctl -a | grep mute | grep -v off
# egrep '(emux|audio)' /var/run/dmesg.boot
emuxki0 at pci2 dev 10 function 0: Creative Labs SBLive! EMU 10000 (audio
  multimedia, revision 0x08)
emuxki0: interrupting at irq 11
emuxki0: CRY20 codec; headphone, 20 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, Crystal Semi 3D
audio0 at emuxki0: full duplex, mmap, independent

with a kernel of 10 Jul 2002. I suppose I haven't proved anywhere that the
on-board soundcard actually works.. (Dell OptiPlex GX400 according to which
Audio controller: Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec)
(Just tried with and 18 Jul kernel, and other AC97 drivers included - it is
still emuxki which attaches)

Any more I could try?

Cheers,

Patrick