Subject: Re: PCI <-> PCMCIA bridge
To: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
From: Neil Ludban <nludban@columbus.rr.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/12/2002 19:21:48
Chris Jones wrote:

> I just bought a "desktop wireless adapter," which appears to be a
> PCI-PCMCIA (or PCI-cardbus) bridge.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to
> work.  The kernel identifies wi0, but can't get its MAC address, so it
> doesn't attach it.  I *don't* see any pcic0 identified, though.
>
> The device in question is a Belkin card with what appears to be a PCI
> chip on it, and not much else.  I can type in numbers, if anybody thinks
> that would be useful.
>
> Any thoughts on why this doesn't work?  I saw nothing in the manual
> about YENTA compatibility, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> ------------------------------------------------- chris@cjones.org
> Chris Jones                                       Mad scientist at large
>    www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

It should show up as 'cbb', IIRC.  See my post from a couple weeks ago
for sample dmesg:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2002/06/28/0005.html

I was able to track down a probable source of the problem (according to
other bug reports and the local cardbus guru), but got diverted to other
projects before I could figure out a fix :(

Verbose kernel messages enabled on both 1.5 and 1.6 kernels showed that
the devices were being memory mapped to different addresses, which I
was told may cause problems on some motherboards.  Try booting the
other kernel and see if the problem goes away.

(The messages are at work - if anybody thinks they can use them to patch
the code, _please_ let me know and I'll forward them ASAP...)

	-Neil