Subject: X11 problems
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Stephen Ma <stephenm@employees.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/12/2002 14:05:05
Phil>   I just installed NetBSD-1.6BETA4 (7/7/02) on an IBM thinkpad
Phil> T30.

Phil> In trying to get X11 running, I ran into the following problem:

Phil> XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
Phil> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
Phil> Release Date: 23 January 2002

Phil> Symbol xf86CreateI2CBusRec from module
Phil> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o is unresolved!

Phil> Symbol xf86I2CBusInit from module
Phil> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o is unresolved!

Phil> Symbol xf86SetDDCproperties from module
Phil> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o is unresolved!

Ummmm... It sounds like you're either missing some files, or they're
out of sync. xf86CreateI2CBusRec & xf86I2CBusInit are in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libi2c.a; xf86SetDDCproperties is in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a

Check to see if these two files are the ones corresponding to XFree86
4.2.

But I don't think the absense of these files should cause the signal
11 - the I2C/DDC code is used to query the monitor for video
timings. If a direct I2C/DDC fails, it then tries to get this info
thru the video BIOS. Hmmmm... Is there any other interesting message
in /var/log/XFree86.0.log?

- S