Subject: Re: Ultra-light notebook recommendations
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/10/2002 02:23:03
Hello Brad,

  BS> ...there are plenty of nice little MIPS machines that run NetBSD
    > to chose from here in Japan.  However, they are not much less
    > expensive and are much more limited in their capabilities...If
    > you need something for serious work, you want a "real" laptop,
    > not a palmtop.

You're missing my point.  I /have/ a real laptop and it works well for
me.  By its nature thouggh, it is too large, heavy, obtrusive and
thirsty to take everywhere.  I would also argue that very serious work
can be done with something as simple as a DEC VT-100, if it is
connected somehow to the capabilities one needs.

A pocket VT-100 would be quite useful, but a palmtop running NetBSD
lets be take more of the functionality out with me.  Network
diagnostics and an ssh client spring to mind.  A VNC client and
perhaps a web browser would just be icing on the cake.

I think there's real power in the ability to connect wirelessly from
the field to a more powerful box in a dungeon somewhere, have that
build code (or do any other batch job) fast and download the end
result to my pocket.

  BS> If you need something for serious work, you want a "real" laptop

It wouldn't have to replace my desktop or laptop machines, to me it
would be a very, very useful addition in that I could take it almost
everywhere and be more connected, more available to the people who
need me - there's real value for me in that.

- Andy Ball.