Subject: Re: booting with USB keyboard
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/09/2002 01:44:54
On 07-Jul-02 Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> on PC with BIOS supported USB keyboard (i can set up BIOS setting using
> that keyboard) bootloader doesn't get any keypresses. Anyway kernel loads
> fine and then USB keyboard works again.

Does it really work okay?
I had some problems with my USB keyboard, including the one you describe.
After finding out that the PS/2 keyboard support needs to be disabled in the
kernel for the USB keyboard to work with a german keymap (since it is a
german keyboard) there were still a few problems left, but I can't remember
exactly.

If you have a PS/2 keybord try connecting it and remove the USB one. When I
did this here I couldn't log in on the console (did not try xdm IIRC)
because the first key I pressed would repeat endlessly. I'd like to hear if
this happens for you also or if it's something strange with my machine.

I finally found out that things are back to normal if both keyboards are
connected, so I have left this state. It's even enough to plug in the USB
keyboard right before you press a key on the PS/2 one. The USB can be
removed after that again.

This is 1.5.2/i386 on some Compaq Presario with a "Compaq Internet Keyboard"
(USB) and a Cherry PS/2 keyboard.

Bye, Chris

--
            __
           ///

Windows NT can be run by any idiot ...and usally is