Subject: Re: Ultra-light notebook recommendations
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2002 12:10:16
> > Here's something I'd wondered about Crusoe chips in NetBSD machines:
> > The little I read about them during their development suggested that
> > there was to be a layer of emulation software that compensated for
> > differences between Crusoe's core and a conventional x86 chip.
>
> It's more like firmware than software. Well, heck, more like hardware
> than firmware. We detect that it's a Crusoe chip and all, but we don't
> treat it differently than any other i386 chip. And there's no way to
> get access to the "native" core.

 While at Crusoe - would NetBSD run on the Sony CMG1-PG?

> >   CS> ...1280x600 display...
> >
> > That's HUGE! (I've been looking for something with 640x240 ;-)

 The Sony machine has 1280x600 Pixel (on 8" display).

 [...]

 I am currently evaluating other Subnotebooks, notably the following:

 - Sony Vaio R600 HFPD
 - IBM X23
 - Fujitsu-Siemens S 5582
 - Asus S1300

 My favorite is, regarding the price, the Asus machine, followed by the
Siemens machine. Sony has, as heard from many Sony users, a rather
expensive RMA procedure. The IBM is expensive and misses some features.

 Bernd Sieker has NetBSD running on a HP palm-sized machine. His only
complain is the battery run time when running at full speed and display.
Maybe he can elaborate.

Markus Illenseer