Subject: Re: Ultra-light notebook recommendations
To: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
From: None <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2002 11:06:13
* Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca> [020707 20:46]:
> I know this is a hard question to answer, but I'm in the market for
> a(nother) ultra-light notebook to run NetBSD.  I had a Dell Inspiron
> 2100, and was pretty pleased with it (see my earlier report in the
> archives), though I would have liked a longer battery life (I could get
> about 2.5 to 3 hours).  Price does matter, but more important is
> NetBSD-compatibility.  I definitely do not like the touch-point mice
> thingies!
>
> Any suggestions, or non-recommendations?

I got a MobilePro 800 based on recommendations on the hpcmips list, and I'm
very happy with it.

Very light, and probably about the smallest you can get while still
keeping a useable keyboard size.

It also has a lot of expansion possibilities:
1 (working) USB port, CF slot and a PCMCIA slot.

Screen does 800x600/16bit, and is about 10" or so.

32Mb of RAM; I run it without swap to spare the CF card, but it's
still stable.

Only downside is the battery life is around 2 hours max, but I use a wireless
NIC in it to run X apps from upstairs, so a 128Mb CF card is plenty.

Plus it has a stylus/touchscreen rather than a clit/nipple/trackpoint thing,
which handles fingernails as well as styluses :)

Go for about 200 dollars on eBay.

Once I get some cash I'm getting it a Microdrive so it will be less
dependant on idoru for storage...