Subject: Re: Ultra-light notebook recommendations
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2002 11:19:15
On 08.07.02, 04:34:09, Andy Ball wrote:

>   CS> ...1280x600 display...
>
> That's HUGE! (I've been looking for something with 640x240 ;-)
>
>   CS> Battery life is 2-3 hours, but you can buy an extended life
>     > battery which will give you about 3x the battery life.
>
> Probably get even more from something with an ARM or perhaps StrongARM
> microprocessor.  It wouldn't have the same performance, but would be
> adequate for my needs.  Of course I'm comparing apples with oranges:
> notebooks with palmtops. I don't think anyone makes the machine I want
> though :-/

If you're serious about only needing a small display, and battery life
is top priority, take a look at IBM's workpad z50.

It uses a NEC VR4121 CPU (MIPS based, no FPU), 16 or 48 MB RAM,
full-size keys, 640x480/16 display (800x600 through external VGA
output), CF-slot, PCMCIA-slot, serial port. Comes with WindowsCE, but
runs NetBSD, including X11, very well. Only 1.206 kg with battery.

See also: http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/AGRN-474KUQ.html

Battery life with the standard battery is 7 hours, and here are
high-capacity batteries, which give about 14 hours!

Drawback for you would be that it also uses a trackpoint stick thingy
for a mouse.

I use mine (with 48MB RAM, 256MB CF card and 3com Ethernet) to do some
perl and tcl/tk programming, dot ("graphviz") for graph visualisation,
and ghostscript/ghostview. The latter is very slow, but it still all
works.

They are discontinued, but can be had cheap ( < $150) at ebay, RAM
expansion kits and high-capacity batteries are still sold new by some
shops.)

--
Bernd Sieker

With many thanks to the core team and UCB CSRG.
		-- Greywolf