Subject: Re: Serial Terminal Cable
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <kb9ylw@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/2002 14:38:57
Hello Mouse,

  dM> Personally, I normally use just pins 1/2/3/7.

Depends on the application. If I were connecting to something
that only ever used software handshaking, then TXD,RXD & SG
would suffice.  As mentioned though, some software like EMACS
is incompatible with software flow control.

  dM> (I note your wirings didn't connect up (DB25) pin 1; I
    > would never skip that except to avoid an observed
    > ground loop, and even then, I'd much prefer to *fix*
    > it. Protective ground is just too valuable IMO.)

I think I said that if at least one end had a DB25, I would
connect the screen to frame ground (pin 1) at one end only.
With a DB9 it may be worth connecting the shield to pin 5 at
one end.

  dM> If you don't connect up pins, you'll lose their
    > functionality; you just need to decide whether the
    > functionality of (for example) DSR, in your
    > environment, is worth the conductor to support it.

That probably qualifies as your obvious statement for the
day.  My question was whether DTR/DSR was used in the case
of a regular serial terminal connected to a NetBSD host.
Somebody else was kind enough to explain that they are
used, and therefore worth wiring through.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.