Subject: problems in 'make /dev in mfs' phase of boot
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <ggm@apnic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/2002 08:52:04
During the MAKEDEV run over the mfs /dev I get amazingly garbled messages
about chown/chgrp which actually seem to be a version botch with ld.so or
some runtime shared library dependency not otherwise seen.

I found this by missing the install MAKEDEV phase, and relying on the fallback
process in init.c which checks for /dev/console, and if its missing running
the on-disk MAKEDEV as a process in MFS. (wow. talk about neat: it snarfs
the files into memory, then squirts them back out into the mfs /dev, then
runs them...)

Because this does populate a somewhat functional /dev, and its then mounted
*over* the on-disk /dev, the only way to fix it is to boot off some other
media, mount the drive, and run makedev in the /mnt/dev path to force the
device settings. During this time, its easy to show that if there is a
mismatch between floppy mfsroot image state and the disk, you get the
same message.

It was interesting that the mfs dev worked, but that you can't fix the
problem without a floppy or other boot path. Is there some way to munge
around on the real disk /dev underneath a masking mount?

Hope (some) of this makes sense..

cheers
	-George
--