Subject: Re: Unable to map device registers
To: C Kane <ckane+port-i386@best.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/27/2002 17:48:51
C Kane <ckane+port-i386@best.com> writes:

> Hello.
>
> During the kernel device discovery, I get messages like:
>
>   tlp10 at pci5 dev 6 function 0: DECchip 21140A Ethernet, pass 2.2
>   : unable to map device registers
>
> What does that mean, and how might it be fixed?

It sounds like the registers on those PCI devices, or perhaps the
PCI-PCI bridges that they are behind, aren't being set up. If you
could get the PCI configuration dump information, it would shed light
on that.

If you boot -d, and then at the debugger prompt type:

w/l pci_config_dump 1

you will get all the output, although I suspect that most of it will
scroll off before you can read it, and it's too big to fit in the
default message bugger. Rebuilding a kernel with
"options MSGBUFSIZE=262144" or something similarly large will make it
possible to catch all of them.

        - Nathan