Subject: hardware RAID
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Adam Glass <adam@clarity.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/2002 23:35:55
Anyone out there using IDE hardware RAID in 1.5.x?  I'm wondering if I
can get the RAID 1 and hot-swap functionality out of a built-into-
the-motherboard Promise PDC20265 controller if NetBSD interfaces with
it through a generic driver? [1]  That is, is a RAID-savvy driver
required to get RAID functionality (disabling/rebuilding drives), or
is that handled transparently by the firmware?  (If it's the latter,
how is the RAID behavior configured?)  Does the pciide driver support
full UDMA, or is it going to fall back to one of the slower PIO modes?

I've never played with the Promise stuff before -- any opinions?

Alternatively, the 3ware 7210 controller [3] has been highly
recommended... does NetBSD 1.5.x have drivers for it?

Please, no raidframe advocacy.

Thanks.

Adam

[1] pciide -- thanks, Sean.