Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 Release Schedule
To: 'port-i386@netbsd.org' <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/21/2002 02:25:29
On Thu 20 Jun 2002 at 00:19:06 +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> I have a dedicated 1.5.2 system for this, and yes it's dedicated because
> it's not really useable while writing images, especially because of the
> I/O load.

"That Depends". My Alpha (PWS 433) can burn cds at 4x speed (I didn't
buy the most expensive cd writer of course), on the fly (without
preparing an image first), while I am downloading/saving data from
Usenet to the same disk. (The disk is IDE without DMA (borken on my
model), the cd writer is SCSI).

At work we had a cd writer, also at 4x, in an 486 DX2 (66 MHz). That one
had to be dedicated, but it worked fine. (Of course under M$Windows it
could never have worked at all)

> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@       -- Woe betide the one who feels
\X/ polderland.nl  -- remorse without sin - Tom Poes, "Het boze oog", 4444.