Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 Release Schedule
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/2002 23:36:23
On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 03:50:58PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> UBC seems to be working fine. What do you think is wrong with it? Or
> is this your claim that the max/min memory usage sysctls aren't working?

Thew issue when you copy a large file to the same disk as the system disk,
the system becomes ususable. It's not a problem with UBC per se, it
the "IO priority" problem I talked about a bit on tech-kern (the I/O
queue gets filled with writes, and another, small I/O request requires
seconds to get serviced).
This is not a problem with UBC per se. I've been fighting with this problem
on 1.5.2 mail servers (working around by limiting the write rate in
userland daemons). It's possible that UBC made it worse, though.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>