Subject: Re: UBC performance/tuning "issues"
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/2002 23:21:10

> Greg, your comment raises a red flag to me.
>
> There are a good number of people out there who are not going to rebuild
> a kernel.  They will probably run with GENERIC kernels.
>
> If the GENERIC kernel begins to present too many performance problems,
> this is going to turn off some of the user base.

IMHO UBC shouldn't be used at all by default until such big problems will
be fixed.

yes it makes things faster while running few processes, but under real
heavy load it makes huge problems.

even my father (knowing nothing about NetBSD except that it exist and
nothing about my upgrade) asked "what you changed, now it takes muuuch
longer to fetch my mails, not just today, but since last week".

Where do you think you go today?