Subject: Talking to Apple Airport - suggestions
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ernst du Toit <et@houseofet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/2002 21:24:58
Hi All

Please excuse some stupid questions, but this is completely new for me :)

I'm in the process of getting an Apple with an Airport card and I would like to get a wireless card for my i386 box to make it act as an access point for DSL etc. instead of looking at the Airport Base Station. I assume the Apple Airport card has no Apple magic, apart from being amputated to fit into the Apple formfactor, so any IEEE 802.11b device can talk to it.

Which wireless cards work well with NetBSD and to make things more interesting, can take an external antenna? I'd prefer PCI, but if there are any USB devices that work I'll look at them too.

On the otherhand if someone has a good argument why the Airport Base Station is better than having a wireless card in my existing i386, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!
--et