Subject: Re: Terminal Server
To: jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/15/2002 16:19:34
On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 04:39:08 +1000, jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
wrote:

> ummm, i am asking for my own needs here, and as hummble as a unix box
> need to be it is still more than teh hardware that i currently can
> muster. i have been wondering if netbsd would be able to serve as a
> terminal server ??
>
> i have been toying with the idea of setting up an i486dx33 with some 32
> (or 64 mb) dram and running something like the old xylogics terminal
> server application suite.
>
> is there anything the xylogics terrminal server package for netbsd ??

Oh, OK.  I googled "xylogics"; you mean /terminal server/, as in serial
ports on one side and Ethernet on the other?  I don't know what the
"xylogics terminal server application suite" is/was.  Perhaps if you
explain a bit more about what you're trying to do, we can figure out a
way.

> i can came close by cobbling together mgetty+sendfax and a couple of
> authenication packages and postgresql as the backend sql server, to say
> that it was slow would be an understatement

Yes, well, a 486/33 won't set any land speed records, that's for sure.

--jkl