Subject: Re: Terminal Server
To: netbsd <netbsd@purk.ee>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/15/2002 12:46:53
On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:10:59 +0300, "netbsd" <netbsd@purk.ee> wrote:

> Is this possible to use NetBSD as Terminal Server like w2k?
> Any link and help is welcome!

Grumble.  grumble grumble.  Grumble!

What?  For umptiump years we've had to listen while every X-poor vendor
explained why shared logic, remote display systems were backward-looking
dinosaurs, and now that Microsoft's second try at a closed method to
partly imitate that feature has been incorporated into their base product,
now people are wondering if X-based systems can do the same thing?
Yikes-O-Rama!  Maybe Al Gore really *did* invent the Internet!

I'll be alright.  Really.  Just a minute.  There.

You can mix and match.  As Manuel said, you can set up X on your
workstation.  Any Unixy workstation uses X of course, and XFree86 works on
Win32 boxen via cygnus, cf. redhat.com.  Or, if you want the Win32 box in
the center, you can connect to it with citrix_ica in pkgsrc.  Or, for
better functionality, install Microsoft's unix-for-windows package in the
center and get a half-baked unix-like environment.

If you're not familiar with the X Window System's network-centric design
strategy, you might start with:

http://www.x.org/about_x.htm
http://www.xfree86.org
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/