Subject: Re: what P-Pro or P-II motherboards support full ECC?
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/12/2002 15:14:24
[ On Monday, June 10, 2002 at 16:36:35 (+0200), Thomas Michael Wanka wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: what P-Pro or P-II motherboards support full ECC?
>
> the last time I cleaned the heatsink of my PP it was full of
> hair and dust (cat and dog owner). Also I would recommend to
> get rid of the thermal grease that came with the PP in the
> boxed version, it was all dry after two years. I can recommend
> the arctic silver.

Good suggestions, but not a problem for this machine.

I have a fan on the CPU heatsink (traditionally lower-speed PPros like
this one didn't need fans), and I use my own proper thermal grease from
the electronics shop.  The chassis has intake fan filters too, and those
are kept regularly cleaned (the machine is still sparkling clean inside,
just like it should be!).  If heat really is a factor then it's because
of a marginal component, not because of poor cooling.  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods