Subject: Re: >8gb disks on Dell Inspiron 3000, any ideas?
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/12/2002 18:55:54
On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 10:04:28AM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	Hello David.  Thanks for the reply.  I have a little more info now.
> The fake geometry and type "ST506" is being assigned by the wd driver
> after it fails to do an ATA_Identify command.  So, the current task is to
> find out why the identify command is failing.

Possibly because the firmware is broken!
Alternatively there may not be a long enough delay somwhere.

I'm not sure with OS actually require the identify command!
I had some compact flash cards that didn't respond to the
identify request at one firmware level (gap between two
that did respond), and that reported a corrupt buffer
(missing one field near the end) on another.

OTOH the PC BIOS normally reports a string that I thought
came from the identify response.

I'd try adding some gross delay loops during after any
reset (etc).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk