Subject: >8gb disks on Dell Inspiron 3000, any ideas?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/12/2002 07:52:49
	Hello folks.  I'm trying to install a new disk in my Dell Inspiron
3000 laptop computer ant put NetBSD and Windows back on it.  Unfortunately,
the BIOS is not upgradable to the point where it supports >8gb disks.  No
problem, I thought.  The old disk, a 4GB IBM, was UDMA33 capable, and did
LBA addressing.  I figured NetBSD would see the 8GB disk through the BIOS,
the 30GB through the disk inquiry directly, and I'd be set.
	Instead, The disk reports through NetBSD as if it were a generic ST506
disk with 139264 sectors, although it reports a geometry which works out to
8.4GB in size.  Worse, it registers as running in PIO mode 0 and uses CHS
addressing.
	I know the disk is UDMA100 capable, and the controller was doing UDMA33
with the previous drive, so shouldn't drive and controller agree on UDMA33?
 	Finally, when I try to disklabel the disk, I use the provided
BIOS geometry, figuring that 8GB is better than 4GB, but I can't do that
because disklabel says that any partition larger than 139264 sectors is
beyond the end of the disk.  Never mind that the number of calculated
sectors on the disk, using the reported geometry from fdisk(8) works out to
8.4GB.

So, my questions are:

1.  Is there a known way to work around deficient BIOS's when the disk in
question is the boot disk?

2.  How about a way of forcing LBA addressing?  can I use the flags
parameter in the wd* line to force the UDMA33 LBA addressing back into the
game?

3.  What about getting disklabel(8) to ignore the fact that I'm trying to
force a label which I know doesn't comply with what it thinks?  Is there an
expert flag I can use?

	I'm rather sobered by this experience, since
I've been using NetBSD for almost 10 years now, and feel I can get it onto
almost anything.

Any suggestions/observations would be great.

P.S.   Oh, Yes, this is with NetBSD 1.5R
-Brian